Strawberries & Cream NICE Cream
There is nothing that my husband loves more on this earth than ice cream. So much so that I often wonder what I rank on his list of favorites. When we were dating he once found vegan gelato in Italy and by the video he sent me about it, you honestly would have thought he had found the Pope.
Flash forward three years later and not much has changed....except for my nice cream skills. What started out as a fun summer experiment last year has grown into an amazing, creamy, dairy-free treat that we can easily make anytime we want!
There are many kinds of food that I know are hard to "give up" when going vegan. But aside from having a reason to back up the decision to switch to veganism, having a some amazing alternatives up your sleeve is the key to never feeling like you are missing out on what once was.
Queue the Strawberries & Cream Nice Cream! It is creamy, a little tart, sweet, and curbs your sugar cravings without all the junk.
- 1 1/2 cup soaked cashews (soaked overnight or soaked in boiling hot water for 3 hours)
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp Monkfruit sweetener* (an amazing, natural, zero glycemic sugar substitute)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. Bob's Red Mill guar gum powder (optional but helps with consistency)
- 2 c. chopped strawberries
- In a blender, blend all ingredients (except strawberries) until smooth and creamy
- In a lined bread pan, or freezer safe container, evenly pour in half of the mixture.
- Blend the remaining half with the chopped strawberries until a desired pink color/strawberry taste is achieved. You may need to use more strawberries depending on flavor if they are in season or not.
- Pour strawberry mixture into your pan and swirl together.
- Let it set uncovered in the freezer for 30 minutes, stir, and repeat 2 more times.
- Cover with a lid and let it freeze for an hour.
- Let it thaw for 10 minutes for easy scooping and enjoy!
*You can use the same measurement of regular sugar. Monkfruit sugar isn't exactly a household staple...yet.
*Top with more strawberries, cacao nibs, coconut flakes and goji berries for extra flavor and texture.