Vegan Sloppy Joes
I think I have found a forever staple for my easy-meal list. This 30-minute meal is so low-maintenance it will probably become a staple in your house, too! I have many ideas for the "meat" part of this recipe that I am going to incorporate into different recipes as well. It's that good!
In fact, it was so good that I took one picture and then ate those two sliders and now that's all I have to show you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So without further ado and nothing more to visually look at, here is the recipe!
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 8 oz. of tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- Sesame seed buns
- Vegan butter
- Pickled radishes (or just regular pickles)
- Your favorite BBQ sauce
- In a large pot, combine lentils and water and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, bring the heat down to a simmer and let it sit covered for 15 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil on medium and add onion, bell pepper, garlic, and spices together. Saute for 6 minutes or until onions are a little brown.
- Add tomato sauce, mustard, and molasses. Taste for flavor and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Mix lentils into the saucepan and coat them evenly.
- On your sesame buns, spread a thin layer of your vegan butter and lightly toast them in the oven on broil.
- Once toasted, add arugula, bbq sauce, pickled radish and sloppy joe mix.
Yields 4 regular sized sloppy joes or 8 sliders