Raw Vegan Berry Cheesecake
I think that cashews have got to be a vegans best friend. They can make you anything and everything dairy related that you once loved. Including, and especially, cheesecake.
It's safe to say by now that I am a huge fan of having my cake and eating it too. I am a firm believer in dessert being eaten daily if you want it! I love having recipes like this one on hand because I know how much good is inside this cheesecake, therefore, I don't have to think twice about eating it. We should all have our cake and eat it too.
- 1 1/2 c cashews
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 cup coconut shreds
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (chilled for 10 min. in the fridge)
- 1/2 juiced lemon
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of mixed blueberries & blackberries
- In a medium-sized pot, cover cashews with water and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes, turn off heat, cover, and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Combine dates, pecans, coconut shreds and 1 tbsp coconut oil in a food processor and blend until a sticky dough is formed.
- In a bread pan or a cake pan, press dough mixture evenly across the bottom to make a crust, and set aside.
- Drain and rinse cashews and add to a high-speed blender with coconut milk, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and the remaining coconut oil. Blend until thick and creamy with no lumps.
- Pour half of the mixture on top of the crust and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Add berries to the remaining mixture, blend, and then add to your pan when the first layer is semi-hard. Freeze for another 30 minutes and enjoy!
Store it in the fridge for up to one week or the freezer for two. You can serve immediately if storing in the fridge, or allow to thaw for 20 minutes if storing in the freezer.